I love chocolate. And I love cake. And thanks to a clever recipe I found, I can have a grain-free version. I have made these a few times now and each time I’ve tried these on gluten-lovin’ taste testers, they have no idea that the cupcakes are grain-free. What’s more is that they are really surprised to learn what the secret ingredient is.
This recipe is adapted from one on The Spunky Coconut. Thanks Kelly!
Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups cooked beans (I used garbanzo)
1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 ounces dark chocolate (about half of a chocolate bar, 85% cocoa)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Puree beans, eggs, stevia, vanilla and honey together.
- Melt coconut oil and dark chocolate. Add to other wet ingredients and blend.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and blend again.
- Pour batter into greased or lined muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.
These were enjoyed all on their own, without adornment, but I am definitely looking for a good chocolate frosting recipe to pair with the cupcakes for the next special occasion. Since they contain beans, these little cakes are not primal. But if you’re a fan of Mark’s Daily Apple, you are well aware of the 80/20 principle. So here’s to the 20!